Nov 11, 2014

Book Review: Amazing Hairstyles by Becky Porter


I grew up in a family of three girls. I felt like I knew a lot about girls and then, I had a son. I was a little surprised when Jacob was born - how on earth would I ever learn all about boys?  I am still learning and luckily I have Jeff to help me understand all things boy. But it turns out that having 3 girls myself now doesn't mean I feel like I know what I'm doing with girls, either!  Case in point: cute hairstyles. I love seeing them but somehow lack the fine motor skills to actually do what I want to do. So my 1 year old has pretty auburn-ish hair that never has bows in it because they just get lost. And my 2 year old has a pretty even but also un-accessorized baby mullet she is sporting. Sometimes we do a ponytail, but not very often. And my 5 year old has lovely, wavy reddish hair. And most days I am frantically pulling ponytails or braids back while she eats her oatmeal or eggs. So I was excited to see Becky Porter's new book, Amazing Hairstyles. It came in the mail a little smooshed but we smoothed it out a bit under some heavy books and Rebecca thumbed through it with me, admiring all of the "lovely hairdos," as she called them.



We decided to stick with the easy selections, because see above, and had some fun. I like how the book is divided into sections and it's easy to see how to finish off the look. Plus, Becky gives great tips about good supplies to have on hand and how to make little changes if you want to. Here are a couple pictures we took of Rebecca's hair:

First we did a linked ponytail with a scarf. This was pretty fun. I added the braid on the right side just for fun. We liked how each step of the hairstyle had a picture to go with it. Easy for me to follow, and fun for Rebecca to see how much we had left until we were done!





This hairstyle also worked well for the occasion of pumpkin seed extraction, as you can see above!  


The other hairstyle we've tried successfully, 3 or 4 times now, is a twisted pullback. This was at the end of the day on a Sunday and it still looks pretty cute!  We like how easy this one is, and if we're feeling courageous maybe I will curl the bottom of her hair sometime to soften this up a bit. 



























We are excited to try some more new hairdos on Rebecca. We both recommend this book because it is user-friendly and good for the hairstyle-challenged mommas out there like me!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book to review from Cedar Fort Publishers. All opinions are my own. I have some more reviews coming up in the next few weeks, so stay tuned!

1 comment:

Becky @ Babes in Hairland said...

Thanks SO much for reviewing our book. Your family is just darling, and your little girl's hair turned out great! I'm glad you found our book user-friendly, and hopefully as time goes on you'll be able to use more of the styles! But as I mention in the book, it's more the 1-on-1 time that you spend with your daughter that is more important than how the hairstyle comes out! :) Thanks again for reviewing our book. It means so much!