Nov 12, 2014

Hannah turns 1!


A month ago on October 11th, Hannah Gale had her first birthday. I think a year ago there were days I was sure I, or someone else, might not really survive us adding another child to the family so soon after Sarah made her appearance in 2012. But survive we did, and Hannah really just fits right in. We love her so!

Jeff was flying back from Utah that day to be back for our little celebration. Rebecca was pretty excited to help with the apple party. I made a banana-based refined-sugar-free cake with not-too-sweet cream cheese frosting for Hannah's cake and cut it in the shape of an apple. Rebecca helped with the sprinkles when I left the cake unattended for a few moments. And the two older kids cried their eyes out when we let her smash the cake, worried there wouldn't be any for them because she wasn't sharing. Silly kids.



We bobbed for apples or got really soggy trying! Rebecca asked me about 57 times if it was time to put the apples in the water after she filled up the bin with the hose. Finally I let her do it; she is a persistent little thing.


We played pin the leaf on the apple and apple tic-tac-toe.


And we had a great time.

Hannah has such a fun disposition. She has cute dimples, bright blue eyes, a hair color that remains mysterious (is it brown? is it red? is it auburn?), she is patient, she notices things really quickly, she already loves books, and she even likes to sing.



I remember before I had children our stake president at church talked about how charity, the pure love of Christ, was something we could be blessed with. He shared that after each of his children was born (and they have 6 children) he wasn't sure how he could possibly love anyone so much, but somehow his heart was able to keep expanding and he was able to love the other children more because he loved the new child now, too. I have really seen this in my own life, too, and will always be grateful for that description. So here is to expanding hearts and this happy little girl who fills our world with so much light!

No comments: