So now we are on Thursday, which is basically over. And I feel really behind on lots of things, even though there isn't anything that really needed doing this week. Jacob voted no on going to playschool today. No one got dressed. No one showered (ahem). Meals required little or no thought whatsoever. I picked up the toys a couple times only because I was tired of stepping on cars. Rebecca went down early for her nap. Jacob did not take a nap. Jacob tried to go potty 3 times in the bathroom, aside from all the other times he was successful on his own. This means I spent a lot of time reading and making up stories while sitting on the side of the tub. I talked to him about getting prune juice to help him out a little. He said he wants apple instead. I told him I'd prefer apple juice as well. We watched Bob the Builder together on the couch. He checked on Rebecca several times. She slept almost 4 hours. Both kids ate a grand total of about 3 bites at dinner. Jeff had to proctor an exam tonight so we ate early with him and then I put the kids in bed at 6:40.
- Somewhere in all the chaos today I finished reading The Friendly Persuasion by Jessamyn West and I really liked it. The movie is very different than the book; I like them both. Gary Cooper is in the film, of course it's good!
- I sat on the couch a lot with the kids today and had a heating pad on for a chunk of my day. My back feels great!
- We started reading a new book tonight that I got for a quarter the other day. Pippi Longstocking. It was fun to hear the kids try to say her name. "Oh, her name sounds like Woodstock," Jacob said. As in Snoopy's bird friend.
- Jacob, distraught, reminded me to read scriptures while I was reading PL. (normally we read books after scriptures at bedtime so I think he thought I'd forgotten)
- Jacob pointed at pictures in the Children's Songbook and asked me to sing and/or play them for him. This is a relatively new game we play. I started singing "I believe in being honest, I believe in being true..." and he said, "Oh!! That's just another Article of Faith!" Close!
- Jacob likes to sing the first three Articles of Faith at random times.
- I swept the floor. In part of the house, at least.
- Playing sit up games with both the kids. At the same time. I give Jeff credit for inventing such a game.
- Jacob and Rebecca talking about the place Aunt Erin had her job interview this morning: Don's Johns.
| "Mom, can I just hold Rebecca?" He has asked this several times this week. It is so funny to see it. (Especially in this picture since he has no pants on.) |
There are other things I could mention, but the reality of it is that even when days and hours seem really, really long and tiring, I come up for air and it's nearly the end of the week. Nearly the end of the month. My baby is almost 2. My other baby is almost 3 1/2. It all goes by so fast and I hope my kids know that when they felt pretty yucky on a gray day or 3 in Michigan's generally gray winter, that I did my best to be happy and love them a little more.
While I was helping Jacob get suited up to play outside one day, I caught Rebecca plopped down on the couch trying to put her snow suit on by herself.
4 comments:
Way to savor the little moments. Sounds like a great, relaxing day!
You're a good mom, Stacey! Those little rugrats are lucky to have you.
Very well written and thoughtful post. I enjoyed reading it. I brought dinner to Kevin on campus on Tuesday and I was still in my sweats and Elisa was in her pajamas. I started to apologize, and Kevin's response was, "Nothing wrong with that." :) You are a great mom...I love how much you sing to your kids...and they love it too, that's not hard to see.
You're an awesome mom - just like I always knew you would be! Thanks for writing this post - so much of what you said hit home to me. Love you Stace!
Post a Comment