Jan 20, 2015

Book Review: 52 Weeks to Fortify Your Family by Nicole Carpenter

I received a preview copy of the new book 52 Weeks to Fortify Your Family: 5 Minute Messages to review for Cedar Fort, Inc. This book by Nicole Carpenter is an expanded version of something she posted on her website MOMentity that she called the Armor Your Children series. The idea is that you can spend a few minutes each day sharing a scriptural thought with your children that will give them something to think about throughout the day.

In our family, we usually read from the Book of Mormon each night before the kids go to bed, but I really wanted to try to fit in trying this book out in the mornings, but it proved to be a little bit difficult for me. I have 2 in school who are eating around 7:10 AM, and 2 little ones who are sometimes still sleeping then or who are also eating, and I realized our morning routine is not always the same each day. So I didn't try this book out as well as I hoped that I would, sad to say. But the format of the book is such that I can pick it up and begin again any time, and I like that. (Note: I reviewed an electronic copy of this book and I think if it had been a hard copy I would have been able to test it out a bit more with my kids!) Maybe we will try it at dinner time and see if that is a little easier.

I gave a copy of this book to my older sister for Christmas because I felt like it was something that would help her as a mother of 4 children (a little older than mine). I hope she is enjoying it!

I like that the book doesn't have to be done in order. It doesn't start in January or anything like that, it just has numbered weeks. And while some lessons might reference the previous week's thoughts, it is very easy to skip around as needed. If you feel like your children might need some thoughts about obedience or tithing to follow up after a Family Home Evening lesson, this book will be a great resource for you. There are General Conference talks that go along with the topics, questions to help children think about things further, and even a quote that I think could be memorized during the week you study the topic.

I feel like this is the kind of resource that parents wish they could have, lots of great thoughts/scriptures at their fingertips, all organized and ready to share with eager learners. When I discussed kindness with my children, we were all able to share some interesting thoughts. I really believe that having gospel conversations with my children is important, and I feel that this book provides a great jumping off point for me and other parents to be able to do just that.


No comments: