Oct 19, 2010

TWD: Caramel Pumpkin Pie




 Janell had her turn to host this week, and she chose Dorie's recipe for Caramel Pumpkin Pie. 

Things to do differently next time:
- find time to make my own pie pastry (I had some in the fridge and it was speed v. taste and texture today)
- ensure that the crust does not shrink during prebaking (I swear I didn't stretch it!)
- put foil on the crust during baking time so it doesn't get as dark
- don't prebake at all, maybe?
- cook the caramel for a bit less time so it doesn't have as much of a burnt aftertaste - though it never really burned as I cooked it, the flavor was a bit too full, perhaps
- try it with the streusel

I had fun putting this together with my kids tonight and just enjoyed two slices for myself.  This might be a good pie to remember if you have some pumpkin, but not enough for a pumpkin pie, since it only calls for 1 C of the puree! 

2 comments:

Transitions said...

The name of this sound absolutely amazing. I dont cook though so it also sounds difficult. Maya

The Mortensens said...

Those are some of the exact tips I left on my blog. I had to make it twice for me to like it. :s

Thanks for taking the time to bake along with me this week!