Aug 2, 2009

Squirrels

So, the squirrels like to eat out of our bird feeders. They are pretty creative. Here is one doing his dirty work. Well, it happened one day, that one of the squirrels got real greedy, and decided to just dive right in for the mother lode. And, he got stuck. The best part to me is his little paw sticking down, trying to grasp at some seeds. Here he is, a little closer up. And here he is some more, just wedged in there. I was at work when this happened, but Stacey saw the greedy little fellow, and tried to get him out. She couldn't. She called the animal control people, and they came and freed the little guy. When I went out there that evening, I found a piece of tail on the ground--I think they tried to just pull him out by the tail to start with. I am pretty sure I have seen a squirrel with a bit of tail missing eating out of our birdfeeders. So, now, we must design a bird feeder that is squirrelproof. I talked to my brother about it, and as an astute engineer, he said "Well, you need something that a bird can fly to, but a squirrel can't climb to or drop on to. So, it cant be on a post, and it cant hang. I guess we need to construct some sort of magnetic field where it can just hover."

1 comment:

Sandra Batterton said...

So, I heard a rumor that the Hoopes children were all in Soda Springs. Is that true? And I waited for a visit all weekend!!!! Sandra